Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Windows Backup & Norton Ghost

After my system crashed, I have to reinstall a windows system on my laptop, which is horrible. It takes almost three days to finish all the installation and configuration process. Suffering from reinstall system, I decided to try to use Norton Ghost to backup the system to make my life easier. Unfortunately, GHOST requires a floppy drive to make sure your system is bootable when crashed. More serious, I installed a dual-boot system on my laptop (ubuntu7.04+windows xp pro (sp2)) with the first parition for windows being NTFS. So the MBR of windows is actually modified by linux, and ghost can not find the proper MBR infor for windows. To backup linux system is easy, just compress all the stuff into one tar file would be OK.

So I'm wondering whether or not I can backup the whole hard disk under linux system. But the problem is, even if I can backup the windows partition in linux, I cannot restore it as Ubuntu 7.04 does not support modification on NTFS. Haha, really frustrated with this backup research work.

It seems that linux backup is way too much easier than windows. But I'm still a newbie to linux. Maybe, after sometime, I can get rid of windows.

No comments: